Suffering from sensitive skin can be incredibly frustrating. Tracking down skincare products that do not cause irritation, yet still feel hydrating on the skin can be somewhat tedious and time-consuming – its all about trial and error.
Caring for sensitive skin does not just involve opting for natural makeup products and moisturisers, but also soap that is safe to use on a daily basis. Conditions such as eczema and psoriasis can cause the skin to become inflamed, itchy and uncomfortable, which means that using a gentle soap that is capable of cleansing the skin, while remaining irritation-free is imperative. With this in mind, we have devised a guide to the top six best shower soap for sensitive skin.
A Guide To The Best Shower Soap For Sensitive Skin
While some are born with skin that is a little more sensitive, others begin to notice their skin change over time. There are many different reasons as to why your skin may become prone to irritation, some of the most common causes include the following:
- Age: Our skin goes through multiple life stages, which is often the reason behind an increase in sensitivity. As a baby, the cutaneous barrier, also known as the protective uppermost layer, is still ‘in construction’ making the skin prone to irritation. No harsh products should ever be used on the skin of a baby. Not only is skin sensitive at the beginning of life, but also as we grow older. As the skin ages, the activity of the sebaceous glands begins to slow down, forcing the defensive barrier to weaken.
- Hormones: As we reach adolescent years, hormones have a significant impact on our entire body. The skin becomes more oily, which is why many teenagers suffer from acne. To tackle acne, the first ‘go-to’ is harsh products which strip the skin of its natural defences; therefore, making it incredibly sensitive. Hormones can also play havoc with the skin for women during pregnancy, again weakening the protective barrier.
- Weather: Living in the UK means that we are exposed to ever-changing weather conditions. Not only does it become tricky for us to adapt to the difference in temperatures, but also our skin. The temperature, humidity and pollen level can all impact how sensitive your skin is.
- Lifestyle: The cause of your sudden sensitive skin could be as straightforward as the products you use. Altering your lifestyle slightly to adopt a ‘less is more’ approach could help towards calming your skin. In this case, experimenting with the ten gentle soaps included in our article will most definitely work towards your advantage.
Struggling with sensitive skin can make you feel as if no product can help towards easing symptoms; however, this is most definitely not the case. While it may take time to pinpoint triggers, you will finally perfect a routine that works for you and keeps irritation at bay. Begin by taking a browse through the best gentle shower soaps!
1. Puracy Natural Body Wash
Rated 5-stars on Amazon by 86% of reviewers, the Puracy Natural Body Wash can be used by all members of the family from children and adults to even pets! The ‘all-natural’ company boasts products that are free from all of the 12 toxic chemicals can are commonly used in cosmetics – you can find a full guide to these harmful ingredients on Be Health By More.
As the Puracy Natural Body Wash is free from all parabens, alcohol and perfumes, it is super gentle on the skin. It is infused with pink grapefruit oil, which comes alongside a plethora of benefits such as the ability to clarify the skin, prevent infection and boost the immune system. There is also a small touch of Himalayan Sea Salt, ideal for gently exfoliating the skin and removing all dead skin cells.
2. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
As one of the most popular brands for producing gentle, yet highly effective skincare products, Cetaphil will always be a leader in their field. From cleansers and moisturisers to an exclusive baby range, if you find that Cetaphil works for you, you’d pretty much be able to find a product for every step of your routine.
The Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, in particular, is the perfect soap for those suffering from sensitive skin; it has even been proven to ease symptoms of eczema and psoriasis. The product has the following beneficial traits:
- Non-Comedogenic: Products that are specifically designed not to block the pores.
- Hypoallergenic: Designed to cause no form of allergic reaction on any skin type.
- Fragrance-Free: No perfumes have been used to add a scent to the product.
- Soap-Free: Made without adding any fats or alkaline products.
3. Eucerin Skin Calming Body Wash
Ideal for those suffering from dry, itchy skin, the Eucerin Skin Calming Body Wash helps the skin to regenerate and retain its natural moisture. One of its main ingredients is omega oils which are ideal for preserving the skin. Omega oils are proven to not only help to protect your skin against sun exposure but also provide hydration and fight wrinkles. While it may seem a little off-putting using a product filled with oils, it is important to highlight that it leaves absolutely no oily residue on the skin and creates a soft lather.
The Eucerin Skin Calming Body Wash remains one of the more budget-friendly options in our guide, costing just over £6 a bottle. Due to the lack of fragrances, soaps and dyes used in the product, it has been approved by dermatologists to be used to ease irritated skin on a daily basis.
4. Bioderma Atoderm Cleansing Oil
Unlike the other products in our guide, the Bioderma Atoderm Cleansing Oil is somewhat unique. As the only shower oil that we have come across; it is ideal for providing complete, long-lasting hydration to super dry skin – Bioderma claim the moisture can last up to 24 hours! The cleansing oil works by creating a nourishing protective layer over the surface, which, in return, will allow the skin barrier time to repair itself.
Including only pure ingredients, the Bioderma Atoderm Cleansing Oil is formed of three main components – plant-based biolipids, vitamin PP and a Skin Barrier Therapy patent. The plant-based biolipids are responsible for easing the tightness of the skin while the vitamin PP allows the moisture barrier to begin reforming. Skin Barrier Therapy, on the other hand, is used to prevent bacteria from aggravating the skin and causing inflammation.
5. Dr Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
If you are looking for a product that consists of only natural, vegan and organic ingredients, then the Dr Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap is ideal! When opting to purchase the Dr Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap, you can enjoy a ‘two in one’ solution that doubles up as both a liquid soap or shower gel for the body and hair.
Certified by the USDA as one of the leading organic products, the components included in the Dr Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap couldn’t get any purer. The main ingredients include the following:
- Coconut Oil: Reduces inflammation and heals wounded skin.
- Olive Oil: Filled with antioxidants to prevent premature ageing.
- Hemp: Regulates and balances the skin’s oil production.
- Glycerin: Attracts water to the skin to combat dryness.
- Pure Water: Prevents toxins from being absorbed into the skin.
Last, but most definitely not least, the Pure-Castile Liquid Soap is available in an array of different scent from a calming lavender to super refreshing citrus.
6. Dove Deeply Nourishing Body Wash
When on the topic of products for sensitive skin, it would be impossible not to mention Dove. Known for taking an honest approach to designing products, Dove not only markets products as 100% gentle, but they are also a certified PETA cruelty-free brand.
The Dove Deeply Nourishing Body Wash is created using the smart Nutrium Moisture Technology, which helps the skin to maintain its natural balance of nutrients. Combined with mild cleansers, the Nutrium Moisture Technology features a blend of natural moisturisers and nutrients to nourish deep into each layer of the skin. It is a fantastic product for those searching for a low-cost daily shower soap that is easy to pick up as part of their weekly shop. The Dove Deeply Nourishing Body Wash range is available in almost all supermarkets, along with health and beauty retailers.
Keep Your Skin Healthy And Nourished
Tackling sensitive skin doesn’t have to cost time or money. When choosing skincare products, always spend time familiarising yourself with the ingredients. Keep a careful eye out for those that feature the terms hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and fragrance-free; these will all help towards keeping your skin free from irritation.
When bathing or showering, we suggest steering clear of using water that is far too warm. This will cause sensitive skin to become inflamed and irritated. As experts in walk-in showers in Leighton Buzzard and wet rooms in Bedford, we are frequently asked what the ideal water temperature is. While this is somewhat tricky to decipher, the rule is that the temperature should never exceed 99 degrees – aim to find a balance that is comfortable for you. It is recommended to begin with a warm, not hot, shower and finish with a quick rinse in cold water. You can find more information on the benefits of hot vs cold showers in our previous article.
For more dermatologist-approved tips for dealing with sensitive skin, we suggest taking a look at Self.